Sunday, March 4, 2007

Hilda Hilst: Poems for the Men of Our Time



While I write a verse, you surely live.
You work your wealth, and I work my blood.
You will say that blood is not having your gold
And the poet tells you: buy your time.

Ponder your hurried life, listen to
Your inner gold. I speak of another yellow.
While I write a verse, you who never read me
Smile when someone speaks to you about my verse.
To you, a poet is like an ornament, and you change the subject:
“My precious time cannot be wasted on poets.”
Brother of my moment: when I die
Something infinite also dies. It’s hard to say it:
A POET’S LOVE DIES.
And this is so large that your gold cannot buy it,
And so rare, that that smallest piece is so vast
That it doesn’t fit in my corner.



Enquanto faço o verso, tu decerto vives.
Trabalhas tua riqueza, e eu trabalho o sangue.
Dirás que sangue é o não teres teu ouro
E o poeta te diz: compra o teu tempo.

Contempla o teu viver que corre, escuta
O teu ouro de dentro. É outro o amarelo que te falo.
Enquanto faço o verso, tu que não me lês
Sorris, se do meu verso ardente alguém te fala.
O ser poeta te sabe a ornamento, desconversas:
"Meu precioso tempo não pode ser perdido com os poetas".
Irmão do meu momento: quando eu morrer
Uma coisa infinita também morre. É difícil dizê-lo:
MORRE O AMOR DE UM POETA.
E isso é tanto, que o teu ouro não compra,
E tão raro, que o mínimo pedaço, de tão vasto
Não cabe no meu canto.



Source:
"Poemas aos homens do nosso tempo" in Júbilo memória noviciado da paixão. SP: Massao Ohno, 1974.


No comments: